This afternoon Italy is playing vs Costa Rica in the 2014 Fifa World Cup and because we’ll be having Italian friends coming over to watch the match, I have decided to prepare a very easy and typical Italian appetizer: Focaccia with Cherry Tomatoes.
- 300 g gluten free flour (I used the Doves Farm Gluten Free White Bread Flour
- 1 medium potato, boiled and mashed with a fork
- 1/2 tsp quick dry yeast
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 200 ml warm water
- 10/12 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- basil leaves
- Place the flour, salt, sugar, mashed potato, yeast, 2 tbsp pf olive oil and 150 ml of the water into a large bowl. Gently stir with your hand or a wooden spoon to form a dough then knead the dough in the bowl for five minutes, gradually adding the remaining water.
- Stretch the dough by hand in the bowl, tuck the sides into the centre, turn the bowl 80 degrees and repeat the process for about five minutes.
- Tip the dough onto an oiled work surface and continue kneading for five more minutes. Return the dough to the bowl, cover and leave to rise until doubled in size (approx 45 min).
- Roll out the dough on a well-oiled baking sheet, place the tomatoes, add a pinch of salt and one / two tablespoons of oil. Bake in a preheated oven at 220 degrees for about 20 min. Add the fresh basil before serving.
Enjoy the focaccia and the match x