When you are on a gluten free diet plan, the first things you will probably miss are bread and pasta, or at least the ones you have always been used to.
And, as I am used to have pasta everyday, the transition from wheat pasta to gluten free options hasn’t been initially very easy. However, after a few trials, I have found that the best gluten free pasta available here in London is undoubtely the Italian brand Garofalo.
Made with corn, rice and quinoa flour, Garofalo Gluten Free pasta is so well done and delicious that you may not even realise that what you are eating is gluen free!
Gluten Free Penne Pasta with Tuna and Aubergine Dadolata Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 400 g gluten free penne pasta
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 fresh red chilly, finely chopped (otpional)
- 12 ripe plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 500 g fresh tuna steaks
- 1 Aubergine (diced)
- Fresh basil (or mint) leaves.
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently cook the onion, garlic and chilly for about 5 minutes unil softned bu no browned. Tip in tomatoes, season and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and fry the diced augergine.
- Coil the penne into a large pan of salted boiling water, bring back to the boil and cook according to packet’s instructions.
- In a separate large pan, add a generous pinch of salt and tip the tuna steak. Roast for about 5 minutes, until cooked. Dice the tuna steak in chucks of about 1 cm each.
- Drain the pasta and then toss into the tomato sauce, adding the diced tuna and aubergine. Season well, stir the basil and serve.