I am not a typical baking person. Despite my passion for cooking, I am more for an extemporized cuisine, quick and creative recipes to be thought and prepared with what is ready available in the fridge. However, lately, a certain little person has developed a passion for chocolate and ‘chocolate cake’ have become her favourite words and food.
This new chocolate food affair, coupled with my 2 week gluten free diet (aimed to asses if I have developed Gluten Sensitivity )has led me to search for good gluten free cake recipes. Drawing inspiration from my Italian origins I have just come out with this fantastic almond and chocolate cake. This recipe is based on the traditional Capri Chocolate Cake.
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 250 grams ground almonds (blanched, lightly toasted)
- 200 grams sugar
- 5 large eggs (free range)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 160 grams butter (melted and cooled)
- 200 grams dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa, melted and cooled)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coffee (optional)
- 1tbsp gluten free baking powder (I have used Dr Oetker)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Beat the sugar and egg yolks until creamy.
- Add the ground almonds, and then the melted butter and melted chocolate. Mix well.
- Beat stiff the egg whites with a pinch of salt and add to the mixture, folding gently.
- Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon coffee (optional) and 1tbsp gluten free baking powder. Mix well.
- Line a cake tin with wet greaseproof paper, pour the cake mixture in it and cook for 40 minutes.
- When cooked cool on a cake rack and dust with icing sugar.